20 Tips for Smart Buying Calgary Condos
Tips for smart Calgary Condo Buying!
As Calgary real estate prices soar, many Calgarians are rediscovering the joys of Calgary Condo living and buying Calgary condos. Before you leap, take a look at 20 Tips for Smart Calgary Condo Buying
Calgary Condo sales are at an all-time high. people are rediscovering the joys of condo living again, along with the low-maintenance, easy lifestyle that goes with having your very own castle in the clouds. And with housing real estate prices at high levels, a condo is an affordable way into the market, especially for first time home buyers.
Before You Start
1. Hire a professional Calgary Real Estate agent and Realtor to assist you in the buying process. It doesn't cost you anything as commissions are typically paid by the seller, and you have the advantage of the experience working in your favour.
2. Make sure you have a good lawyer.
3. Get a pre-qualified mortgage to determine what how much mortgage you can afford. There may be additional costs to consider such as home inspection, legal fees, appraisal fees, condo document review. Consider moving costs and possible property taxes.
4. Make a list of all the things you need for your new home such as (number of bedrooms, parking etc) Identify wants vs. needs.
On the Hunt
5. See a variety of properties from high-rise, low-rise, town-homes. Some condos have additional amenities such as concierge service, or i house gym facilities.
6. Purchase the largest suite you can buy for your $$$ - Consider one bedrooms and studios might be harder to resell in the future.
7. Visit the neighborhood at different times of the day, does it meet your needs for your lifestyle?
8. Location is very important, don't buy a condo with a view of the garbage bin, or overlooking parking garage. A view is always a nice resale feature as well as a unit that offers natural light.
9. Buying a parking space is essential in Calgary, everyone seems to still drive, and having one is important for resale, even if you don't use it yourself, you can rent it to someone else in the building in the meantime.
10. Buying a unit with out of suite storage is also a great feature.
11. Look for a Calgary condo listings that have their own laundry in suite.
Home Suite Home
12. Do a home inspection to examine the wear and tear on the condo to establish what additional expenses you might have after you move in.
13. Hire a condo document review company. If you are not comfortable with reading the documents yourself, hire a pro.
14. Ask about the occupants and demographics.
15. Find out the condo fees and what they do and don't include.
16. What are the property taxes?
17. Is there visitor parking?
Make me an offer
18. Visit the suite twice if you can before making your offer.
19. Know what other suites in the building have recently sold for. Discuss your offer price with your Realtor!
20. When you are ready to make an offer on your new to you condo, make sure your offer contains conditions that include reviewing the condo documents, financing and home inspection.